Thursday 25 November 2010

Scratchbuilding a Disaster

I should have known better, I really should! I was later than usual getting home from work yesterday evening and was feeling pretty tired to go with it but decided to 'fit out' the four casemate ironclads thinking it would be a straightforward task. It all went horribly wrong as I seemed incapable of cutting anything squarely or lining anything up correctly. The end result was a shambles as although the funnels are fine just about everything else went wrong - gun ports, hatches and pilot houses. I have now decided that such fittings will now be cut from plasticard rather than balsa wood as cutting 5mm squares was an exercise in futility - especially at the end of a very long day!

I have spent the early part of this evening removing everything that has thus far been added (mercifully only 17 of the 35 gun ports had been placed) and tidying up the models in order to start again. Fitting out a model is not difficult to do, merely time consuming and is therefore best tackled when feeling fresh!

2 comments:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

My sympathies, not enough hours in the day or fuel under the hood ;)

Alas, time for a hot cup of tea and a Honnob

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

The enthusiasm got the better of the practical - I shall be much more measured in my progress going forward!

I hope the Hobnob was savoured with all due respect for such a premier example of the biscuit makers art!

All the best,

DC