Wednesday 9 February 2011

River Wars or another example of Wargaming Synchronicity


This was a piece of pure indulgence: because it was there! I received an email this morning from the Wargames Vault http://www.wargamevault.com/product_info.php?products_id=88110 and this was at the top of the list. I am as weak willed as the next wargamer and so, after a nano-second of lofty contemplation, the £ equivalent of US$ 7.99 was rapidly winging its way across the Atlantic and, as is the usual way with such purchases, the PDF duly arrived in very short order.
The production vales look very nice although I was a little surprised to see the name of the USS Tuscumbia spelt incorrectly and the models used for the ship cards (based on the gorgeous 1/600th Thoroughbred Miniatures)of the Ellet rams were almost like seeing a class of ships - they were all the same! The best of my research has shown that at least the USS Lancaster and the USS Switzerland were sufficiently different looking to warrant a separate model. These two ships are on my construction list and you can be certain that they will look different to the rest of the ram fleet for sure!
I cannot comment on the rules themselves as, to be honest, I only purchased them for the ideas contained therein and to see if there were any concepts I could easily adapt for my own purposes. They appear to be a little too detailed for my use (the whole file is 51 pages including turning circles etc) but are a sterling piece of work nevertheless.
On this very subject (rules that is) I can happily state that my own ACW river based naval rules are very close to being ready to play test and will of course be made available to anybody that would like to see a set.

6 comments:

David Manley said...

The new set from Bay Area Yards has also just been released (hopefully my copy is waiting for me at the Post Office), and Peter Pig is reissuing "Hammerin' Iron" later this year. I was working on a couple of ACW naval projects myself, but these are on hold as the market for new stuff is well and truly saturated at the moment!

David Crook said...

Hi DM,

I have seen a number of sets that all seem to have acres of paper in them and all I want is a hex based (rather Hexon)knockabout set. My own spin on the era currently runs at 6 sides of A4 - and that is it! I will be intrigued to see your stuff as and when ready though.

All the best,

DC

David Manley said...

The project for a publishing house that shall not be named is quite long, but the bulk of it is tables of ship data and background. the meat of the rules themselves really boils down to a couple of pages. The second (a very quick play set that uses "Man o War" as its inspiration) is 2 pages tops :)

I understand the new Peter Pig rules will be intended for use on a hexed playing surface.

David Crook said...

Hi DM,

Very intrigued by both sets - I also knew about the Peter Pig set being revamped - so please let me know as and when they are near fruition.

'Man o War' - now there is a set of rules to gladden the heart!

All the best,

DC

El Grego said...

When you are ready, I would like to see a copy of your ACW rules - I would have sent an e-mail but I can not find yours.

draggamg@comcast.net

David Crook said...

Hi EG,

No problemo - they are very close to being ready for the first playtest - I just need to add a few pieces of 'chrome' as well as some ship specs and then they are good to go.

All the best,

DC