Tuesday 15 March 2011

'Beware the Ides of March' or even 'Infamy, infamy....they've all got it Infamy....!!'


I have played a large number of Ancient games over the years (although not recently) but do not have any armies or such at the present time. Whilst I doubt if I will be painting figures for this period (of several thousand years!) anytime soon I have been reawakening my long held interest in the wars of the late Roman republic. I recently acquired Adrian Goldsworthy's book - Anthony and Cleopatra and am awaiting Caesar by the same author. My solution to gaming this will probably be to use the Command and Colours ancient game - there is an expansion that covers the Roman Civil War although I will need to check which one! Aside from the inevitable in house fighting the period saw the Romans fighting the Parthians, Armenians, Mithraditic Pontic, Gauls and many others so the potential is huge.
I suppose this probably seems like a rather contrived post given the date but I was powerless to resist it and in all honesty the period in question does have a lot of potential especially given that the Carry On team covered it so sympathetically and so one has to ask the question: What's not to love?
'Et tu Brutii?'

4 comments:

Paul O'G said...

Ooohh, Matron!

Paul´s Bods said...

One of my favourite lines in a film...:-D
Cheers
paul

David Crook said...

Hi Man Cave,

Should you ever get back over to the Mother Country you must hear the Redoubtable Mr Fox's rendition of that very line....superb!

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hi Pauls Bods,

I am a huge fan of the 'historical' (or should that be hysterical?!)Carry Ons and this is one of my favourites as well.

They don't make them like that anymore.....:-(

All the best,

DC