Wednesday 2 November 2011

The Coin is Spinning....

I have sent off for some sample Spencer Smith 30mm Classic ACW figures to have a play around with in terms of painting and converting. The kepi types will stay as they are and initially the only thing I need to worry about is shaping a suitable fez. As mentioned, I plan to use the hat wearing figure for this as the crown will have a little more height and so should therefore be easier to shape.

The infantry will be organised as per a large Charge! style regiment with four companies - a grenadier, two centre and a light company. Cavalry will be on a squadron basis with three squadrons being about right. An artillery battery of a couple of guns will complete the set up. I will also add a machine gun and perhaps a heavy artillery piece in due course. Suitable personality figures would also be needed to add a little character - especially for the respective commanders - and without revealing too much I can safely say that the spirit of Percy French will be well represented…..;-) The figures will be individually based although I will probably make use of movement trays for gaming purposes.

In keeping with the overall look should I opt for these figures the terrain will be quite simple and stylised. I will make the buildings I need as required - it has been a long time since I last did that but it should be easy enough for the look I am after - along with any walls, defences and bridges. Roads and streams will be from Hexon although I will have some felt versions for use on a normal table.

The armies I am building are to be set in 1891 so the uniforms will probably seem a little archaic but close enough to not matter - these are 'imagi-nations' after all - and certainly there would be a historical precedent for wearing older styles given the parlous state of the respective treasuries.

I will most certainly be embracing the naval side as well and will look forward to building some of the ironclads in use - even the Russian circular monitors may make an appearance!

5 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

I am seriously thinking of following your lead with regard to the choice of Spencer Smith figures, especially as they are so relatively cheap. In addition, a lot of 28mm equipment is useable with 30mm figures and several other companies that make 30mm figures make some very nice personality figures.

All the best,

Bob

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

If I believed in fate my latest blog entry would seem to indicate that I MUST buy some Spencer Smith Miniatures ... and as soon as possible!

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

Destiny is the word you are looking for - as sure as the sun will come up tomorrow!

My order for some samples is on its way and I will report when they arrive!

Fezia used to have a toehold in Maldacia and Laurania so you never know what the current Sultan - Abdul the Unprincipled - may do next!

All the best,

DC

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

While you are at the Spencer Smith website may I also direct you gentlemen's attention to the fascinating Jaclex section - providing they're not too small of course (20mm)...

David Crook said...

Hi Steve,

Very nice indeed! I will pass on them though...

All the best,

DC