Thursday 24 May 2012

Memoir of Waterloo


That awkward moment when the obvious appears before your eyes!

Now here is a thing. Whilst I have been busy dicing and slicing Bob Cordery's Memoir of Battle 19th century rules to incorporate the earlier smooth bore era I suddenly had a brainwave. I reckon that most of the game system (sans the command cards) used in Command and Colours: Napoleonics could be very simply tweaked into a Memoir-ish set of rules. As a result of this brainwave I shall spend a couple of days seeing if it sticks and if so will try it out with the block armies over the weekend.

Of course if I was tackling a Peninsular based campaign I would just go ahead and use the game blocks but I am not and so I won't - at least not yet in any event!

4 comments:

Robert (Bob) Cordery said...

David,

It is so obvious when you think of it!

I look forward to reading how your play-test goes, as I suspect that there are several lessons that we can learn.

All the best,

Bob

David Crook said...

Hi Bob,

The plan is to use the structure of MoB (sequence of play etc) but to transplant the core of the Napoleonic rules on to it. There will be changes of detail - particularly with combat resolution - but nothing too serious. Of course a little dash of yours truly will be needed in the mix but on paper it looks very feasible.

More to follow with this.

All the best,

DC

Martin said...

Just half way through stickering this sticker beast. Then I have the Spanish expansion to do. Hopefully get some games in tomorrow.

David Crook said...

Hi Martin,

It is job and a half to do but worth it in the end. Luckily I do not have the Spanish yet so the only stickering I do is for my block armies!

All the best,

DC