Thursday 16 August 2012

Spirits Having Flown....


The disc of a thousand wondrous things....

It has been one of those days that starts with high expectations that gradually get eroded away until all you seem to be left with is the consolation prize! I am currently waiting for five items through the post and only one arrived - and it was the smallest of the lot!

I was pretty disappointed as I made my way home at the news that nothing large and box-like had arrived  but the sole item I did receive today certainly revived my spirits as it is an absolute gem. I am of course referring to the 'scanned on to a disc' version of the Avalon Hill Air Force and Dauntless aerial board game I ordered from Ebay. Aside from the copies of the rules, counters, log sheets, playing charts and every article ever written on the game in the old Avalon Hill General magazine there is also the aircraft data cards. Not only are there copies of the cards from Air Force, Dauntless and the Expansion Kit but there are also a lot more besides - in fact there are 172 aircraft in total. The only downside is that they are in the Avalon Hill multicoloured format rather than the original tabular types from the Battleline version of the game.


The choice of aircraft was for the benefit of Mr Fox and I think the data card shows just why the original tabular format was so much easier to read!

It means that I now have sufficient material to be able to play aerial games using my Angels 20 1/100th scale aircraft for a variety of actions although large scale games involving lots of aircraft I will need smaller hexes and smaller models. Failing that, I could just revert to the board game format but that will not be half as much fun.

2 comments:

Mosstrooper said...

Ah the great wargaming sadness ! - 'the none arrival of parcels syndrome'

David Crook said...

Hi Mosstrooper,

It is really frustrating but I console myself that the weekend is upon us and so I will have more time to enjoy anything else that arrives!

All the best,

DC