Saturday 31 May 2014

The Arrival of the Panzerschiffe Order


WW1 warships straight out of the box. The front four are the Germans (with the Seydlitz cast in very light grey epoxy resin) whilst he RN bring up the rear - battle cruisers on the left and battleships on the right - the largest of which being H.M.S. Agincourt

Hurrah! After a mere 17 days my order from Panzerschiffe has arrived. Overall the style and quality is as I expected with a basic level of detail but certainly more than adequate for my needs. They actually fit in very nicely with the Stonewall models so the collection can be completed in my chosen scale of 1/2400th without having to resort to GHQ and C in C for the extra models. This is just as well as they would work out rather more expensive!


S.M.S. Seydlitz - complete with, ahem, battle damage....The bow has not come out in the mould and the gun barrels on the rear turrets have broken on the left hand side. Replacements have been requested although I could, at a pinch, fix them myself.


A couple of the models have some mould issues so I will be acquiring replacements - I could probably fix the issues myself but is pressed but to be honest I would rather have the casting replaced. They are pretty good for gaming pieces and I will happily add to the collection in due course. Sharp eyed readers will have noticed that I have purchased two Moltke class battle cruisers - well I will need to rebadge one for the Turks!


H.M.S. Agincourt (left) and Erin - both of which were being built for the Turkish navy but requisitioned under Churchill's orders in 1914.

I now have everything I need for the first phase of this collection and have some 69 models left to paint over the next three weeks.

Best get a move on then!

6 comments:

Simon Quinton said...

Excellent looking ships. Get Cracking with those brushes!

David Crook said...

Hi Simon,

Repairs have been carried out on the Seydlitz (rather quicker than after her battering at Jutland!)and the bases have been cut out. Tomorrow the models will be washed, glued to the bases and undercoated prior to painting.

Meanwhile, the Royal Navy has some additions ready painted....

All the best,

DC

El Grego said...

Those are fine looking ships, and they are usually easy to touch up.

You did find one of the oddities of the Panzerschiffe ships - the castings can range in color from white to dark grey!

David Crook said...

Hi EG,

They will suit me very nicely and I ma pleased I decided to take the plunge. I managed to repair the Seydlitz and working with the material they make the models from is really easy.

All 12 will be based and undercoated today.

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Nice

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

Basic detailing and cheap to buy - I reckon Panzerschiffe will be seeing a few more dollars from me over the course of the year!

All the best,

DC