Sunday 9 July 2017

Risky Business or Needs must and all that....


Slingshot arrived on Saturday but the book came from our local boot sale.

It is Sunday which can mean only one thing in our house - boot sale! Sure enough SWMBO and I headed out to our local boot sale on a day that was extremely hot. We were struggling in the oppressive heat before we had even gotten halfway around but we persevered and were able to pick up a few bargains. Whilst Laurel scored a number of bargains (she has a real 'eye' for a good deal) for my part my acquisitions were rather more modest although I was able to pick up the book you see above and a copy of the boardgame Risk.

By virtue of my postponed (and probably cancelled if truth be told) Salamis project my interest in Ancient Wargames has experienced a little bit of a renaissance recently - hence rejoining the Society of Ancients - and the Later Roman Empire is a period I am keen to learn more about. Where this will go I know not but one thing is for sure - it will not be any time soon!



This particular version of Risk contains some rather useful late 18th century plastic figures - infantry, cavalry and artillery at around 12mm scale

I am sure I am not alone in always looking at a board game and seeing what the pieces can be used for. The above set caught my eye when it first appeared as the figures seemed very useful in a generic 18th century kind of way. The infantry look very much like British troops for the AWI but are suitably generic to be useful for pretty much any nation for the period (echoes of Charge! spring to mind....). Some time ago that renowned fashionista, wit and raconteur Kaptain Kobold cobbled together (or should that be Kobold together) a couple of armies for the Great Northern War using these figures - and mightily impressive they looked as well. The idea was such a good one I am sure he won't mind me stealing it....

I have a hankering to cobble together (actually I am thinking that Kobble would be a more appropriate word in this case) a pair of generic 18th century forces on an image-nation basis for use with, well, a number of things really. I already owned a couple of sets worth of the figures so have plenty of raw material to work with. Something to consider although with the imminent release of Richard Borg's Tricorne AWI Command and Colours game perhaps they may even be turned into Redcoats and Continentals.



The core Lord of the Rings set....


....and the figure selection contained therein.


The Mordor expansion to the base game....



....and the figures contained therein.


 For similar reasons I have also been acquiring a number of sets of the Lord of the Rings Risk set. Again the figures are quite useful and between the two sets you have Elvish Archers, Giant Eagles, Riders of Rohan, Moria Goblins, Trolls, Nazgul, Ents, Mumakils, Men and Knights of Gondor, Warg Riders and Uruk Hai. There is more than enough for HOTTs or pretty much any other massed fantasy system.

For both of the above I am keen to compare the figures with the 12mm models produced by Kallistra as there may be some bits and pieces that are usable with the plastics.

I also have some assorted 1/2400th WW1 ships to finish (leftovers from the Jutland project) which will give me a modest set up - a swift order to Panzerschiffe will provide the missing links - and finishing them is first on the list.

That leaves Travel Battle and a pile of 1/600th Tumbling Dice figures and WW1 aircraft as well as the ships for Lake Tanganyika as also being on the 'to do' list.

As you are aware I am currently out of work so any expenditure has to be very carefully considered - luckily I seem to have a good selection of things I can turn my hand to!


6 comments:

Kaptain Kobold said...

First time I've ever been called a 'fasionista' :-D

Der Alte Fritz said...

Is there a source for buying more of the Risk figures without having to buy, say, ten sets of the game to fill out a respectable army?

David Crook said...

Hi Kaptain,

So the 'wit and raconteur' bit was ok then?....:-)

All the best,

DC

David Crook said...

Hiya Der Alte Fritz,

You can can additional models from EBay - all of mine have come from boot sales - and there are around 360 pieces in the game. So far I have spent a mere £3 which has given me over a thousand figures which should be more than enough for my needs.

The great thing of course is that there are plenty of pieces for conversions.

All the best,

DC

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Hmm, I think I have interesting sets of Risk in the loft
You have set the cat amongst the Loft Pigeons!

David Crook said...

Hi Geordie,

If only I could turn the amount of effort I spend on planning into something tangible both the Electorate of Kronenbourg and the Grand Duchy of Artois would certainly be seeing the light of day using these figures....

All the best,

DC